Originally developed by athletes, Graston Technique ® is an innovative, patented form of instrument-assisted soft tissue mobilization that enables clinicians to effectively break down scar tissue and fascial restrictions. The technique utilizes specially designed stainless steel instruments to specifically detect and effectively treat areas exhibiting soft tissue fibrosis or chronic inflammation.
It has been shown to successfully treat all soft tissue conditions, whether chronic, acute, or post-surgical. Conditions commonly treated by Graston include: carpal tunnel syndrome, rotator cuff tendonitis, achilles tendonitis, plantar fascitis, tennis elbow, shin splits, iliotibial band syndrome, and headaches.
As a result of its unique ability to detect and break up scar tissus, the Graston Technique offers numerous advantages to the patient:
- Decreases overall time of treatment
- Fosters faster rehabilitation/recovery
- Reduces need for anti-inflammatory medication
- Resolves chronic conditions thought to be permanent
- Reflex changes in the chronic muscle holding pattern
- Increases the rate and amount of blood flow to and from the area
In addition to Active Release Technique (A.R.T) and Dry Needling, Graston is another tool we at Active Recovery Boston utilize to restore proper soft tissue function.